Monday, June 22, 2009

Soviet Picnic Knife

Picked up this "Soviet Swiss Army Knife" from Rodion over at the Multitool.org forums about a year ago. Here's what he has to say about it:

Some 20 years ago, during the Perestroyka, my dad bought this picnic knife in Ukraine. Last night, I've found it at my parents' house and decided to bring it back into shape. After dunking it in hot water (to get the joints moving again), sharpening, cleaning it up and oiling (with vegetable oil), I realized someone here might like it.


And here's a nice picture he made of it.




And here are some pictures I took of it today. I don't know much about it, I posted it over in Bernard Levine's forum at Bladeforums but I can't find the original thread anymore. I'll update if I eventually do. Now, if I recall correctly, the only info I got was that the knife, being a product produced in the Soviet Union had the price set by the government which is molded into the handle scales.

It's an interesting piece in comparison to the Swiss Army Knives and other pocket slipjoints we Westerners are so familiar with.



No comments:

Post a Comment