Friday, April 10, 2009

The Manix (C95G)

I owned one of the first production pieces of this model back in 2004/2005 when it was first released. It was my first Spyderco with a manufacturing defect; this caused no amount of headache. When I received the knife I remember thinking that there was really no reason to own anything else, this knife was beefy and sharp and just all around awesome.

Then I tried to reverse the pocket clip to lefty tip-up carry.

Turns out the holes hadn't been tapped on that liner. I was miffed, to say the least and ended up trying to tap the holes, glue the screws and other micky-mouse methods before my father gently suggested that I could just flip the liners around and solve my problem. I did so and carried it for several months.

I stopped EDCing the knife when I accidentally nicked the finger of a friend one night after work. We were unwinding and messing around with wine corks, carving them or some such nonsense, when he reached across me right as the Manix slipped though the cork nicking one of his fingers. He gave me a hard time about in a jocular way but I beat myself up over it a bit and retired the Manix in place of smaller fare. I eventually sold it during my flashlight infatuation period. Someone over a CPF got a hell of a deal, that's all I'll say.

This piece is of more recent production.

No comments:

Post a Comment